Ferrari reserve driver Giovinazzi contested his second practice of the season with Haas at the Circuit of the Americas on Friday, having previously appeared for the team in FP1 at Monza.
But the Italian’s session lasted less than eight minutes after he lost control over eses in the first sector, causing his car to spin into the barrier on the left hand side of the track.
It was a dent in Giovinazzi’s hopes of making a full-time return to F1 in 2023 with Haas, where he has been vying to replace Mick Schumacher next year.
Giovinazzi took full blame for the incident by pointing out the windy conditions, but hoped the mistake would not affect his chances of getting a seat for next year given his previous three seasons of racing experience.
“It sure doesn’t help,” Giovinazzi admitted. “But on the other hand, I already showed what I could do in Formula 1.
“I know it’s not this lap and a few corners that will end my race. Let’s see what happens, but yeah, we just look ahead now and see what happens.
“I already did three years in F1. If people love me, it’s not because of today. It’s in the past what I did and what I will do, so let’s see.”
Antonio Giovinazzi, Haas F1 Team
Photo by: Andy Hone/Motorsport Images
Giovinazzi was able to get his car out of the barrier under the red flag, but doing so caused clutch damage that forced the team to replace it before FP2. Haas also confirmed that a new gearbox was required, meaning Giovinazzi was unable to return to the track.
Giovinazzi said he did not expect any more opportunities in F1 this year, given that he is not eligible for the year-end test in Abu Dhabi and is not scheduled for any more appearances in practice.
“But never say never in F1,” he added. “We saw what happened with Nyck [de Vries] in monsa. Let’s see what happens. But so far yes, I don’t know what I’ll do in 2023.”
Haas has one of only two unconfirmed seats on the grid for next year, but the vacancy at Williams is expected to be filled by F2 driver Logan Sargeant.
Haas has maintained he is in no rush to decide on the second seat, with starting driver Schumacher and Aston Martin reserve Nico Hulkenberg also under consideration.
Giovinazzi said that while his focus was on a return to F1, a switch to the Hypercar category in the World Endurance Championship, where Ferrari will compete from next year, was the next best plan.
“Of course the priority is to get back here,” he said.
“If not, it is no longer a secret, I would like to go to Hypercar. So yeah, let’s see what happens. It may be an option.”