The pre-election includes the restructuring of the country’s railway network, the reduction of the cost of mass transportation, and the strengthening of the public nature of urban transportation through the constitution of transportation service companies with the participation of OASA and the country’s municipalities. of SYRIZA-PS that he announced last Friday.
As mentioned, “the tragic accident in Tempe highlighted the disastrous consequences of ND policy on transportation and infrastructure. This tragedy must be a turning point for the reconstruction of infrastructure and public transportation, with an eye to safety of citizens and the creation of reliable and universally accessible services”.
Regarding the railway, SYRIZA commits to:
- Reorganization of the railway network
- Direct hiring by merit in OSE and subsidiaries
- Reinforcement of the Railway Regulatory Authority with specialized personnel and financial resources
- Review and control of the execution of the Hellenic Train investment plan, as well as the economic interest services agreement (IOS)
- Completion of the interconnection projects of the main commercial ports with the network
In urban transport, the focus of the program is the direct supply of new buses for Athens and Thessaloniki, as dcreate incentives to increase the use of urban transport. To this end, SYRIZA promises mreduction in the price of a monthly card with unlimited travel (from 27 euros to 10 euros) as well as the implementation of flexible fare policies for people with disabilities, students, the unemployed, etc.
To strengthen the public character of urban transport, SYRIZA includes in its program the promotion andnon-profit agreement, so that OASA (as the main body of urban transport knowledge in the country) can establish joint ventures with municipalities/regions for the provision of urban and interurban transport. In addition, urban public transport will be integrated from Hellenic Holdings and Property Company SA (Super Fund).
For taxis, SYRIZA will proceed to e.g.full activation of the existing regulatory framework n.4530/2018 for the operation of taxis in the country, with protection for the small owner-employee and away from the abusive logic that prevails in digital exchange platforms. Creation of a public taxi booking application, without fees for users and drivers (on the model of France/Le Taxi and Catalonia). Correct operation of the EIX digital contract platform and creation of a guided rental registry.
As far as public works are concerned, SYRIZA’s planning is as follows:
- Generously support technical SMEs (through the Hellenic Development Bank), so that they can cope with the current situation.
- Changes in the basic legislative framework of public procurement to protect the access of all to public works bidding
- Development of a mechanism for early anticipation of needs, in technical and non-specialized personnel, but also unqualified
- The end of the “bundling” of projects attempted by the Mitsotakis government
- Preservation of the public character of EYDAP and EYATH (detachment from the Superfund – implementation of the decision of the Council of Ministers), and of the networks/reservoirs/dams, etc.
- Development of anti-flood projects to protect human life, property and infrastructure, promoting solutions based on nature
- Review of the regulatory framework of civil aviation, having as main axes the safety of passengers, airspace users and airports of the country
- Modernization of publicly owned regional airports
- Reorganization into a modern/major organization that implements public construction projects and implements public projects to address the housing problem (for the purposes of the Housing Labor Organization)
- Provision for prorated collection of tolls on all future concessions, with special provision for permanent residents
As was finally pointed out, the framework in which the infrastructure and transportation program operates is as follows:
- It serves the objectives of a coherent development strategy, also oriented towards the goal of climate neutrality.
- It leads to the creation of a new infrastructure park, in line with the National Strategic Transport Plan (2019) financed by the EU. and was implemented in collaboration with the EIB and the European Commission’s Structural Reform Support Service (EC SRSS). Something that ensures the possibility of financing projects
- Mobilizes resources from the Recovery and Resilience Fund
- Maximizes its development footprint in GDP, wages and employment, with endogenous characteristics, by mobilizing internal resources
- It leads to the gradual decarbonization of transport.
- Preserves the public character of businesses and unimpeded access to basic public goods and services (e.g. water, transportation)